Audio links for selected services are shown below. Click on the links to play the files .
The articles and audiio files below explore some difficult or controversional topics.
“..do not allow women to teach or have authority over men ..”
Many traditions of the church, including Baptist churches, have taken this excerpt from Paul’s letter to Timothy (1 Tim 2:12) to justify excluding women from teaching or leading in the church.
We listened to a very careful explanation of why that interpretation is wrong, from Dr Roger Standing, principal of Spurgeon’s College who preached on 2 Timothy 2:8 -15
He explained that you must look at this in several contexts
This is your webmaster’s brief summary of Roger’s message. You’d do better to listen to it!
Follow the link below to listen to it online
Why do bad things happen to good people?
We all know good, kind, caring people who have been struck by illness or tragedy. These situations prompt us to ask how a loving God can allow this to happen. There are no easy answers to this, but on one of our "Second Sunday" evenings Mike Elcome spoke on this subject and this was followed by discussion and contributions from the congregation.
Mike highlighted ten key points:-
- There are no guarantees in life.
- It is an imperfect world.
- There are no exceptions for good people.
- God cannot stop everything that is bad - he cannot change the rules for a good person.
- Everything that happens is not necessarily God's will.
- Bad things are not normally punishment from God.
- Bad things are the result of evil in the world.
- We must see bad things as part of the bigger picture.
- God is at work in this midst of this.
- God doesn't make bad things happen, but he will use them for spiritual growth.
In summary, God is with us through everything - he shares our tears and gives us words of peace.
The audio file, which you can listen to by clicking the links below, is well worth listening to.